Monday 14 January 2013

Silver Jewellery Fashion Changes

Years and Years of Photographs

My name is Owen Long. The photographs I've taken over the last 47 years are like external memory storage for the places I've been, the things I've seen and the people I've known. They capture many of the events and sights of my past I had forgotten.

As the scanner excavates my history, I am documenting the process and displaying the newly discovered gems in the Film to Digital Project blog. Look in The Photographs for galleries from different time periods in my life. For contrast and continuity, my digital photos Click to view   are in 1998-Present (Digital).

What's Up in the Bathroom is a virtual version of the mini gallery I've setup in the bathroom of my apartment. (It's a half bath, so there's no steamy showers to wilt the photos.) These photos change over time as I put up new favorites in a spot where I'll see them often. If I still like the image after repeated viewings, it stays on display.

This is year 5 of my scanning project. Funding this year, once again, is from the IRS and my tax return.

Funding for the 2nd summer of scanning provided by Wavie Ellen Long. Thanks Mom.

A big THANK YOU to the Spence School, which awarded me an Edes P. Gilbert grant to start digitizing the 12,600 negatives and 4,000 slides I've taken and held onto since I started taking pictures in 1966 at age 14.

Owen Long

July 1, 2010

And believe me, I've been trying.

They keep moving around. You never know where Tiffany Necklaces Sale  the action will break out next. As the crowds surge the lighting changes. You've got to watch those exposure settings while looking for high vantage points and getting to them and taking pictures before the police tell you to get down 'for your own safety' and then be ready for the next photo opportunity, while the crowd carries you down the narrow streets.

I've been to two Occupy Wall Street marches now and haven't yet been able to capture the events in images as I'd like. (It looks like there will be plenty more protests to shoot, so I'm looking forward to getting better at it.)

My first trip to photograph OWS was a march from Liberty Plaza, (formerly Zuccotti park) to the court house at Tiffany Rings Sale Foley Square. I arrived about 45 minutes after the march was to start, so I went straight to Foley square, only a few blocks from the City Hall subway stop, but it was quiet there. I thought maybe I had the dates wrong. I decided to walk to Liberty Plaza and see what was happening. I could see the red tripod sculpture a few blocks away when I found the front of the march. The rest of the day was a whirlwind of picture taking.

Towards the end of the day, I met photographer Lauren DeCicca. Later, when I checked out her photos from the march, I saw she'd taken the same photo I had.

Here's my picture of this particular protestor.

The main protest is behind us, but the police have just put an arrested protester into the van in the background, and they are the object of this man's ire, so I felt the van and police needed to be in the image. I was carefully making sure to get complete images, to show what happened. I think I did show what happened pretty well, but my image is pretty static.

By cropping her image close to just the protester and his sign, Lauren makes you feel him reaching out and up. The image becomes more than just documentation of an event.

So I stole her technique and started cropping closer. Here's two examples.

I went to the NY Comic Con this year at Jacob Javits. I hadn't been to a convention since the early '80s. It's very striking how large the community has become.

Here's the convention hall from the 80s.Tiffany Jewellery Sale  This was at a hotel, either the Pennsylvania by Madison Square Garden, or at a hotel out by Kennedy Airport. (More evidence I should have kept better notes.)

Here's the convention floor from one of the three large rooms at jacob Javits - and this shows only one third the floor space of this room.

In the '80s there was one costume contest. Here's the contestants:

Below is the 2011 Anime Costume contest, just one of several costume shows. I missed one on the main floor because it took more than half an hour to get from one end of the convention floor to the other on Saturday when it was wall to wall people.

No comments:

Post a Comment